zaterdag 29 maart 2014

On Decision-Making and a Bit of Practicality

Quick update: I'm staying. For now.

After careful consideration I've decided to ride this one out, if I can. Realistically this means I'll be in London for at least a few more weeks, and most likely until the end of my current tennancy agreement, which runs for another four months (August).

I really wanted to see this through, so in the end the decision was an easy one. There are a handful of logistical problems that will need to be solved in the coming weeks, but for now I'm going to try and not worry about it too much. Work is about to get very busy and with the World Cup drawing ever closer, things aren't looking like cooling down anytime soon.

Four months is ample time to figure out whether I like it here or whether I'd rather go back home, or move onto the next destination. I'll have a chance to expand my social circle a bit (there's a birthday party coming up, at least I'll have that to look forward to) and get more acquainted with the city, two things I'm very much looking forward to.

As for returning home for a visit, I currently have my eyes set on the month of May or early June. Schedule-wise it'll most likely be a two-day visit as I can't afford to stay any longer (I'm always working), unless I work from Belgium for a couple of days. Once the beginning of June has passed the World Cup will make travelling virtually impossible, so unless the Red Devils make the semi-finals or something I won't be coming home to celebrate with you guys. Besides, I have to be in town when the Italians hand the English their asses.

My tennancy will run until mid August, at which point I'll re-evaluate this whole living-in-London-business and go from there.

For the peeps that really wanted to come down here for Easter: go for it. As mentioned, the beginning of April will be quite busy but I do have three days off between April 14-16, so that would be perfect. I have quite a few early shifts in April, and I do not plan on party-hardy if I have to get up at 6 in the morning.

Speaking off, we'll be hitting British Summer Time tonight and I'm not quite sure when the clocks change over on the mainland, so anyone that wants to meet on Skype or whatever, please take notice. I know we'll be restoring the 5-hour gap with the US East Coast, so I'm guessing you guys either change as well or it's temporarily a two-hour gap?

Back to the kids coming to London: I might ask you to take a good look at whether you might have some spare room in the car, as there's a bit of stuff I'd like to have with me here in London. I'm not moving all of my things here for a mere 4 months (I will if I decide to stay after that) but there's a handful of things like a few books and some clothing that I'd like to have here with me. If there's no space in the car it's no biggy, but it'd be awesome if there was.

One of the things I really want to have here is your tea-tray btw. It was far too fragile to move here in a suitcase packed to the brim as it would have never ever survived the trip. But it was still a fantastic parting gift, so if you guys could bring just that, that'd be amazing.

Dad, I'm assuming you've yet to find my pink lunchbox? I'm assuming it's gone forever, which is arguably the worst news I've had all year (believe it or not), but I have to keep hoping it'll resurface one of these days. I would literally kill for that thing, or its contents at least.

Also, bring your own alcohol and cigarettes (for those of you who still smoke) as both are insanely expensive down here. It made giving up smoking a lot easier but I still have to spend at least 4.5 pounds for the cheapest bottle of merlot I can find. You do not want to ask what they'll charge for a bottle of whisky. And there is no way I'm giving up alcohol.

Okay, I think that's all for now. Kind of a break from what I normally write (most of you will be grateful for that) but I just wanted to keep you guys in the loop a bit, and as you may have figured out by now, I'm really looking forward to seeing some of you. My days are mainly filled with work (I'm turning into a bit of a workaholic, as I'm now training two aspiring writers and crafting new sports guides for the company), a new LOST-marathon and playing all of Bioshock again (Burial At Sea Episode Two was so fantastic and connected all of the dots so beautifully I just had to go back to the original and do it all over again). That last bit might explain why I'm once again listening to and posting music from the Interbellum on an exclusive basis. But Bobby Darin's version of Somewhere Beyond The Sea might be my favourite song of all time regardless, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Take care everyone, and I'll see you all real soon. I'll leave you with two of my heroes:

“Don't worry about losing. If it is right, it happens - The main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away.”
― John Steinbeck


Song of the day: Bobby Darin - Somewhere Beyond The Sea

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten